STRAWBERRIES are everywhere, at farm stands along the busy roads leading into the metropolis, at farmers markets, in grocery stores, or at pick your own farms. I'm pressed for time these days, so for me, it's pick and go at local roadside stands.
STRAWBERRY CHOCOLATE TART
Here are two sensuous flavor combinations. Save the prettiest berries for this beautiful tart.
One cooked 9-inch pie shell
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 quart (4 cups) whole, fresh strawberries, hulled and large ones halved, rinsed and dried
2 Tablespoons strawberry or red currant jelly
1 teaspoon water
Garnish: confectioners’ sugar, sifted, sprigs of lemon verbena or mint
- In the microwave, or in a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring frequently. When thoroughly melted and mixed, stir in cream and beat with spoon until combined.
- Spread mixture into the cooked tart shell.
- Immediately place berries, bottoms up, starting in the center, in a patterned circle covering the tart.
- Melt jelly and water together in the microwave, stir, then brush the tops of each strawberry with that mixture so that berries will glisten.
- Serve within two hours, or refrigerate for up to six hours, allowing tart to warm to room temp before serving so that chocolate layer can be sliced. Sprinkle confectioners’ sugar over the top of each slice, and place a green sprig on top.
YIELD: 8 servings