Thursday, April 17, 2008

MY BOOK ARRIVES!



I've told you my first book, THE OUTER BANKS COOKBOOK:  Recipes & Traditions from NC's Barrier Islands will be available May 1st.  Today, I got to cradle my baby in my own hands.  I have to admit I cried and did a little Happy Dance as well.
The very first time I laid eyes on a real copy was in my sister-in-law's office.  Lee  is graciously helping to arrange a signing at the  NC State Alumni Club where she works.  When we went over to have dinner with her, she asked if I was excited now that I could see and hold the book.  I said "not yet."  Ha!! She had a copy before me. A slice of Humble Pie.
The next check on my ego came when the UPS guy brought a couple of boxes to the door.  Hooray!  I now have my own copies!  Not!  I eagerly sliced them open, only to discover they were copies of The Scouts Outdoor Cooking.  It felt like Christmas as a kid, opening the boxes meant for my kid sister.  Humble Pie again!
But today, the boxes delivered to my door held MY book.  My baby.  I am the mother of three, and I can tell you that giving birth to this book has not been quite as painful, but has certainly taught me patience.  Copy was due this past June.  Editing, then editing again.  Globe Pequot Press was thorough, and for that, much appreciated. 
Now I can't wait for some of the elderly folks who let me into their kitchens and stores of memories to have a copy.  I'm headed to the Outer Banks soon to hand deliver them.

Here's a recipe to try from THE OUTER BANKS COOKBOOK.  Since there's not a great variety of fresh seafood available just yet, give these pecans a try!

SPICY TOASTED PECANS (pee-cans!)
Pecans grow very well on Roanoke Island, where every island home tried to have a couple of trees growing in the yard. Seven different varieties reportedly grow within the village of Wanchese.
These pecans are wonderful additions to Happy Hour on the beach.  
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco or Texas Pete sauce, added to melted butter (optional)
2 1/2 cups pecan halves
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.  Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add seasoned salt and pepper, and Tabasco or Texas Pete sauce if desired.
3.  Remove an from heat, and add pecans, stirring until well coated.  Spread pecans in a shallow baking pan and bake until toasted, 8 to 10 minutes.
4.  Cool completely before storing.
copyright 2008 Morris Morris Book Publishing LLC


1 comment:

Unknown said...

So that's the way the damned things are done! I have ruined several batchs by trial and error, many errors, sad to say.
I am looking forward to the next batch.
DOM
Cary, NC