Thursday, December 2, 2010

APPLE PANCAKES


WEEKEND BREAKFASTS
One of my best presents I received for Christmas last year was home delivery of the Sunday NEW YORK TIMES. I relish curling up on the sofa and diving into the politics, fashion, movies and book reviews, while downing a huge pot of coffee, and when it's the season, having a nice roaring fire going in the fireplace.
A nice breakfast treat just adds icing on my cake. And I am a fool for anyone who wants to cook me breakfast. My husband, bless his heart, has finally mastered eggs-over-easy. But that's about the end of his repertoire.
With Pink Ladies and Golden Spices in my larder, and apples a favorite of the hubby, I tried recently to also make his day by making a breakfast version of an apple pandowny.
Buckwheat is a favorite of mine, especially with maple syrup. Whenever I find stoneground grits, there will usually be pancake mixes available, too. So I've got a stash of buckwheat pancake mixes in the extra fridge in the garage.


APPLES & BUTTER
The small, six-inch cast iron skillet that was my grandmother's brings back such sweet memories every time I use it. And isn't that what the weekend's more relaxed time should be about? Conjuring up memories of a loved one while stirring up something yummy?
I peeled, cored and thickly sliced two apples. I also used an additional small skillet so that I could cook two pancakes at a time, and melted a pat of butter in each.
The apples slices looked like a pinwheel when added to the skillets. I cooked them over a low heat so that they would not brown too quickly before softening up, then flipped each slice over.
Then I mixed up the pancake batter, and slowly poured it over the apple slices, again over low heat.



FLIPPED
I'll confess that flipping the pancakes didn't work with one. The trick is that, just as with regular pancakes, you must wait until the bottom is fully cooked. Usually you can see what looks like popped bubbles, or tiny craters, that indicate that the batter is cooked through. And that's when you can successfully slide your spatula under the apples and batter, and then flip them over.
Good luck. I've had success with that two out of the four times I've made them!
But let me tell you......no matter if it's pretty on top or not, these pancakes are just divine. We splurge with real maple syrup from either Whitetop Mountain in VA, or from Maple Springs Farm near Burnsville, NC.

4 comments:

ras said...

can't wait to try this...looks beautiful! thanks!

Kemp said...

Stop it; stop it right now!! ;)

How in the world are we supposed to watch our holiday waistlines with you tempting us with decadent holiday (or more likely year-round) treats like apple pancakes?

To be honest, we’re likely to cook up a batch tomorrow morning in anticipation of a very chilly, family 5-k we’re running mid-morning.

Your timing’s perfect, even though our dietary discipline isn’t!

Best,

J&K
Raleigh

Kemp said...

Stop it; stop it right now!! ;)

How in the world are we supposed to watch our December waistlines with you tempting us with decadent and simple holiday recipes like apple pancakes?

To be honest, we’re likely to cook up a batch tomorrow morning in anticipation of a very chilly, family 5-k we’re running mid-morning.

Your timing’s perfect, even though our dietary discipline isn’t!

Best,

J&K
Raleigh

Unknown said...

I made apple pancakes for supper last night! Delicious with maple sugar from upstate New York. I like the idea of precooking the apple slices so they can be thick. I'll try that next time!
Thanks!
Daphne